Saturday, August 30, 2008

a few

sadalsuud
sadalsuud
Originally uploaded by nepalblue
more days in class (thanks Jane) - a few more drawings*. It was a bit rusty at first, but eventually my mind was up and running again. I need to start drawing more frequently - been painting so much that I've let that slip.

Speaking of painting, I'll finally be back to working on the self portrait - expect progress reports. Also, I am very disappointed with the string I added in to the key (debating whether, or not, I should paint over it). It was good in theory, but not necessary for the composition (not to mention that I didn't do that great of a job on it).

It's only a few more weeks until NY, so there is a lot of last minute running around. I'll certainly be back on here before heading out. Late.

*Sadalsuud is an older drawing

4 Comments:

Blogger rigney said...

I was looking at the string on the key painting. Would it help to change the color of the sting? This way it is evident of intention and it may help clarify the composition. Overall I don;t think the sting is "bad", just may be the fact that I have to guess to much at what and were it is.

5:31 PM  
Blogger m tobias hall said...

All morning, I was planning on painting the string out. Eventually, I decided that I'd chalk it up to experience (and avoid creating more problems) - so, I varnished it.

I do appreciate your suggestion, but I still feel that the main issue lies within my brush strokes.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Tom VdW said...

Toby, what do you varnish with so quickly after painting? Retouch?

2:14 AM  
Blogger m tobias hall said...

i used to use the windsor & Newton retouch - i've moved over to the gamvar, which can also be used as a retouch. probably could have waited a little longer, but i didn't want the painting tempting me to paint over it (also, i have to get things ready to ship out to ny).

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home